cyrus imap: seems Ok, but can't connect with mutt on localhost

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Tue Dec 5 14:31:32 PST 2006

List,

I have recently set up cyrus IMAP (from ports) and it seems to be
behaving itself:

% imtest localhost
S: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 SASL-IR]
example.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.3.7 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 SASL-IR ACL
RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME
UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT SORT=MODSEQ
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE CATENATE CONDSTORE
IDLE LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED X-NETSCAPE URLAUTH
S: C01 OK Completed
C: A01 AUTHENTICATE DIGEST-MD5
S: + bm9uY2U...cw==
Please enter your password:
C: dXNlcm5h...mZjE=
S: + cnNwYXV0aD1hYmQ4ZWIyNmYwOWRlMzEyMjQxNzY4M2ZmN2MxMzI1Ng==
C:
S: A01 OK Success (privacy protection)
Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 128
. logout
* BYE LOGOUT received
. OK Completed
Connection closed.

Similarly, I can send an SMTP message to port 25, and watch Postfix
correctly deliver it to cyrus, which squirrels it away in its spool. As
a final test, I thought I should be able to access the IMAP folder on
localhost via mutt. But it doesn't seem to work. When I fire up mutt
(compiled from ports) and try to change folders:

   c imap://localhost/INBOX

It just hangs, with a "Connecting to localhost..." status message.

All I see in /var/log/debug.log is:

   Dec  5 23:27:20 localhost imap[56129]: accepted connection

Nothing in any other log files. Is there something really obvious that
I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
David
--
"It's overkill of course, but you can never have too much overkill."