Looking for a cookbook on Oracle clients...

David Robillard david.robillard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 06:37:20 PST 2006

> I have a task that requires I extract a data set from a MySQL server, and push it on to an Oracle (9i) server.

Hi Brian,

If you're familiar with perl (or have a perl programmer handy) you can
choose from a whole bunch of perl modules which interact with MySQL
and Oracle databases.

For example, in the FreeBSD ports tree you will find
databases/p5-DBD-Oracle and databases/p5-DBD-mysql ports.

Once you have both of these, it should be quite easy to write your
perl script to pump data from the MySQL database with
databases/p5-DBD-mysql port, perform the data manipulation your
business requires and the dump the results into the Oracle instance
with databases/p5-DBD-Oracle.

Now, if your objective is to migrate all of your data from MySQL into
Oracle, then you can check out the "Oracle Migration Workbench". More
info on this at
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/workbench/index.html

Good luck,

David