(repost) cannot read windows share

Antony Mawer fbsd-questions at mawer.org
Mon Dec 4 23:17:26 PST 2006

On 5/12/2006 5:56 PM, 张韡武 wrote:
> 在 2006-12-05二的 17:36 +1100,Antony Mawer写道:
> [snip]
>> I don't know if this is at all useful, but I have come across the
>> following patches, which appear to have been ported from Darwin, to
>> improve handling of multibyte character sets:
>>
>>      http://people.freebsd.org/~imura/kiconv/
>>
>> It would be interesting to see these committed (if they are valuable),
>> as I know there are issues with FreeBSD mount_smbfs when operating
>> against the Mac OSX samba implementation, which (I am told) only speaks
>> UCS2.
> But I think FreeBSD-6.1 do not include this nice person's work! Thus
> even "mount_smbfs -E UTF-16:GB2312" won't work for me.

No current versions of FreeBSD include the patches at the above site -
my understanding is that they may still require some work before they
are ready for committing.

I've CC'd R. Imura (who produced the patches) who may be able to answer
the question (as well as possibly help you with your issue).

> Now I am really interested if I can get smbmount (part of samba)
> working, if so, problem solved, otherwise there is no way to go.

I believe smbmount is Linux-specific, so I think your best chance is
trying to get the patches mentioned above finalised for your use.

Regards
Antony