(repost) cannot read windows share

张韡武 weiwu at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Dec 4 22:28:52 PST 2006

在 2006-12-04一的 21:54 -0800,Garrett Cooper写道:
> 	Also, I'm not sure if FreeBSD has been configured to run the particular
> character set you need (nor am I sure where any documentation may be
> regarding how to set that up), but you also want to explore getting that
> solved in tandem with the mount_smbfs item.

I read carefully with mount_smbfs and as far as I can tell mount_smbfs
is using iconv lib which compiled as kernel module. After I run
mount_smbfs I checked and made sure libiconv.ko is automatically loaded.
According to documents, mount_smbfs automatically load this kernel
module for charset conversion.

My charset specified in commandline is "CP936" which is supported by
iconv. iconv can also support "GB18030" "GB2312" "GBK" which are
equivalents of CP936. I tried all these equivalents but none of them
works.

I also tried to specify -E UTF-8:junkjunk and got an error message says
junkjunk is not supported, this shows if I don't get such error message,
the charset I specified should be supported. Well, I didn't get such
error message with "GB18030" "GB2312" "GBK"...

> Regardless of whether or not you specify the right character code for
> smbmount, if the character set isn't available to the system or setup
> properly, your specifying the character set with mount_smbfs is pretty
> much moot; I know because I use Japanese in Linux and was having similar
> issues until I got everything setup on the machine for Japanese reading
> and writing. FreeBSD China <http://www.freebsd.org.cn/> probably holds
> the answers to your problem, if your system isn't setup to read/write
> Chinese.

Yes, thank you for pointing out this link, I actually checked that link
before coming to this list. From the documents on www.freebsd.org.cn
they did mentioned another problem related to Chinese share but I am
pretty sure it's not my problem...

> 	Isn't cross-language communication fun =\?

In reality, yes. In computer world, I hope I never had these
problems.....