(repost) cannot read windows share

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Mon Dec 4 17:43:41 PST 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 19:34, 张韡武 wrote:
>         This is a re-post, I am getting desperate because my work
>         require me to connect to this share and my colleague can mount
>         the share on Debian. I will have to move to install Debian if I
>         wish to go on working... But I am already used to my BSD. It's
>         too strange to move to another OS for such a tiny problem! Could
>         what I mention below be a bug of FreeBSD mount_smbfs?
>
> Using FreeBSD 6.1, I can mount a windows share but the Chinese
> characters in folder and file names look junk text to me. Charset
> conversion (-E parameter of mount_smbfs) do not work at all. If I do
> ls(1) to a directory that has Chinese character in its name, the process
> 'ls' will take about 80% CPU resource and hang there forever. Ctrl+C
> cannot stop it (kill -KILL can). If I run other command that read any
> file in the directory that has Chinese character in its name, that
> application hangs there taking about 80% CPU resource too.
>
> This process is better illustrated with this screenshot:
> gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/I/users/weiwu/mount_chinese_smbshare.png
>
> In the screenshot, I do have mounted the share with -E parameter which
> should convert GB18030 folder names to UTF-8 but
> actually no conversion is done (see the ls | iconv which shows what it
> should be looking like if the conversion is done)
>
> Actually I have never successfully done charset conversion with
> mount_smbfs, what did I do wrong?

weiwu,

One thing comes to mind:  Try your question here:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/FAQ/

and here:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

and here:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/archives.html

and here:

https://lists.samba.org/mailman/

Your question is specific to samba, and probably not related to
FreeBSD-specific issues.

lane
P.S.  I note that the hosts in the links above are mostly "us1."  That's
probably something to do with the language specification on my system, but
may be different for you.  Check out www.samba.org for better links.