Duo core enable/support help.

Old Ranger Ranger at oldpathsbaptistchurch.org
Mon Dec 4 17:28:42 PST 2006

Mike Tancsa wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:40:50 +0000, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
> you wrote:
>

>> Hello Gurus,
>>
>>  I just had Intel 102, duo core, fresh freebsd 6.1r installed.
>>  but i have been told that i have to enable duo core thing in kernel
>>  what should i have there? only options         SMP ?
>>
>>   what about the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/SMP file? shall i copy the options
>> to MYKERNEL ?
>>

> If your kernel is called MYKERNEL, yes, just add
> options SMP
>
> to the file and then
> cd /usr/src ; make buildkernel
> make installkernel
>
> and reboot.
>
> 	---Mike

Hello,
I just got through this same problem myself.
If I may, allow me to add this suggestion.

Once you cp your own copy of GENERIC kernel;
cd to /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_NAME
make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_NAME

Make sure that the KERNCONF is in UPPERCASE!  Otherwise it will default
to GENERIC.  Trust me on this one.

--

Rev. Z. Wade Hampton

Ranger at oldpathsbaptistchurch.org

"Dedicated to those Rangers who laid down their lives;

  so that lesser men could be free to cry "peace", when

  there was none."  Author unknown