Automount

Robert Davison rob_27_preston at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 1 14:47:24 PST 2006

I've read various documents on amd, but am having issues...

My fstab for the drives (there is two drives contained within a Sun StorEdge S1) reads:

/dev/da0s1b      none   swap   sw               0   0
/dev/da0s1d      /s         none   rw,noauto   0   0
/dev/da1s1b      none   swap   sw               0   0
/dev/da1s2d      /t         none   rw,noauto   0   0

I've mkdir -p both /s and /t as mount points

I've then put the following lines into /etc/amd.map

localhost/s         type:=program:fs:=/s;\
mount:="/sbin/mount mount /s";\
unmount:="/sbin/umount umount /s"

localhost/t         type:=program:fs:=/t;\
mount:="/sbin/mount mount /t";\
unmount:="/sbin/umount umount /t"

And finaly I've added the following to ,y /etc/rc.conf

portmap_enable="YES"
amd_enable="YES"
amd_flags="-a /.amd_mnt -l syslog /host/etc/amd.map"

when i reboot the server the external drives are not mounted, but I do get a .snap file now in my / if this means anything ?

Am I missing a step here, or the point totally ??

Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
  Robert Davison writes:

> I've just installed an external SCSI hard drive in the form of a sun StorEdge. All is working well.
>
> The StorEdge has two drives called da0 and da1 respectivly.
>
> I've put entries into /etc/fstab so that they are mounted on boot as /s and /t. My question is.......
>
> If I dont have the StorEdge running 24/7 and I reboot the server, the boot process fails when mounting the file systems as /s /t can not be reached.
>
> Is there anyway of writing an automount line in fstab that is smart enough to know that if the /s and /t are not reachable then continue with the boot process without stopping. My fstab enty is...
>
> /dev/da0s1d /s ufs rw 0 0
>
> I see that the cdrom has the entry
>
> /dev/cd0 /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
>
> Is it simply a case of changing the mount option to rw,noauto ??

To start with, yes. If you don't use "noauto", then the disk *has* to
be there at boot.

You might want to put in some devfs rules to mount the disks when they
show up. Or an automounter.