Configuring DNS (BIND) in isolation

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Dec 1 14:16:30 PST 2006

On Dec 1, 2006, at 1:03 PM, Andrew Falanga wrote:
> I have a need to make my own DNS system on an isolated network.
> Years ago,
> I administered DNS for a couple of different companies, but that
> was quite a
> while ago and since I've turned to programming I haven't done much
> in the
> way of network administration.  I recall from using BIND 4, when I was
> reading up on it, that it is most certainly possible to configure
> an entire
> DNS system on a totally isolated network.

Of course; it's possible to do so with BIND-8, too.  :-)

> Would I need zone files for the root, ".", zone and any other zones I
> configure; e.g. "isolation."?

Yep.

> This would seem to be the way to go about it,
> but I'm having some difficulty visualizing it in my head.  I just
> did some
> searches online for the O'Reilly book "DNS & BIND".  I recall using
> this
> book in the past and it was quite helpful (and unfortunately for me,
> belonged to my former employers).  Would this book be a good
> reference for
> this task as well, or are there better books that I might want to
> look into
> getting for this?  Or, are there good on-line resources that could
> help me
> muddle through?

The O'Reilly DNS & BIND book is an excellent reference, and you
should certainly pick it up if you're going to be running your own
root NS, although it should also be true that you can use the online
references such as the BOG (BIND Operations Guide) to accomplish your
goal.

--
-Chuck