SYMLINK

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri Dec 1 12:07:36 PST 2006

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 12:30:51PM -0500, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:

> Please excuse my ignorance but I believe my symlink is not working, how can I
> verify a symlink?

Just use it and see what happens.
If it is a symlink to a directory, then do a cd to it.
If it is to a text file, do a vi or something like that to it.
If you get where it is supposed to go, then it is working.  If no,
something is wrong.

Examples:

You create this link (presuming all dirs exist).
  'ln -s /some/other/dir/goodstuff /stuff'

Then do 'cd /stuff'
  a pwd and should see yourself in /some/other/dir/stuff

You create this link (presuming ...textfile is some file containing text)
  'ln -s /my/junk/dir/textfile /txfl

Then you should be able to do  'vi /txfl'
  and it will bring up an editing session with what is in ...textfile

You can use any text editor you like if vi is not to your taste
(though you should at least learn how to use vi since it is so omnipresent
 in the UNIX world)

> And Yes I am  a newbie in the BSD / open source world.

Welcome to FreeBSD.
It will take some learning, but be worth it, even in the
short run.

////jerry