What could cause /DEV to clear out?

babak badaei badaei at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 20:37:06 UTC 2006

Hello, Thanks for the reply! Here is the information requested below:

UNAME -A:

FreeBSD 4.7-RC FreeBSD 4.7-RC #0: Sun Apr 13 21:43:57 PDT 2003

LS -al:

drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel        18432 Aug 28 03:01 .
drwxr-xr-x  22 root  wheel         1024 Apr  7 16:32 ..
crw-r-----   1 root  operator   13, 0x00030002 Sep 17  2002 da0s2c
crw-r-----   2 root  operator   13, 0x00030003 Sep 17  2002 da0s2d
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel           12 Sep 17  2002 log -> /var/run/log
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel           13 Sep 17  2002 mouse -> /dev/sysmouse
-rw-rw-r--   1 root  wheel          115 Aug 29 03:01 null
crw-r-----   1 root  operator   13, 0x00030001 Sep 17  2002 rda0s2b
crw-r-----   2 root  operator   13, 0x00030003 Sep 17  2002 rda0s2d
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel            0 Aug 29 03:01 stderr

MOUNT | GREP dev:

/dev/da0s1a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/da0s2h on /home (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0s2e on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0s2f on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0s2g on /var/tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)

Any ideas? Can I somehow restore the missing files? What could cause this? I am certain I did not do it; no one else has root. Thank you.