who do you install freebsd without sysinstall?

Ruslan Ermilov ru at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 31 15:38:33 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 08:24:45AM -0700, backyard wrote:
> how does cron save entropy??? I've noticed "saving
> entropy files" at shutdown but have always wondered
> what it is using. or does it just read from
> /dev/random?

# Save some entropy so that /dev/random can re-seed on boot.
*/11    *       *       *       *       operator /usr/libexec/save-entropy

The latter saves some amount of /dev/random for further
seeding.  /entropy is saved by /etc/rc.d/random, when
it stops.

random_stop()
{
        # Write some entropy so when the machine reboots /dev/random
        # can be reseeded
        #

I think two mechanisms exist because a solution involving
cron(8) works better, but cron(8) is not guaranteed to be
up and running (untypical but anyway), so additionally an
entropy is also saved once on shutdown.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov