question about network setup

Derek Ragona derek at betty.computinginnovations.com
Wed Aug 30 13:36:41 UTC 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Nazar wrote:

> Alright guys. This is probably the complete newbie question, but I just cant
> fight a straight answer on google. The questions usually I found, werent
> answered. Anyways, to the point. I'm behind router. Cable modem -> Router ->
> pc's. Basic home setup. I set up apache and want to figure out how is it
> possible for me to use external ip to connect to my server? I can access the
> server via internal ip & people can access it via my external, but for me
> doesnt show up.

What does this mean?

Others can use the public IP on your router and hit
the apache server?  But you can only hit the apache server from the
private IP?

If the answers to the above are yes, this is the way your router keeps the
public IP separate from the private LAN ip's.  It is not routing between
the two networks.  Most routers are configured in this way.  Some more
full featured routers can be configured to route between the subnets, but
it is generally not a good idea to route between the public subnet and the
private subnet for securuty reasons.

 	-Derek

I know this configuration has to do with my network, rather
> than apache, or at least main configuration of my network and probably some
> tweaking with apache....Well, if possible, some replies would be
> appreciated. Maybe at least point me at the right direction. Thank you.
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.