datasize ...

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Tue Aug 29 19:34:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 07:22:12PM +0200, regisr wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:15:52 -0500
> David Kelly <dkelly at hiwaay.net> a ?crit:
>
> > Yes, you will have to tweak a few kernel values to allow more than 512M
> > per process. And then have enough core RAM and swap to back your data.
>
> But I have yet set the limit to 1.5GB! I wanted to known if the limit
> to ~3G is always in effect.

I don't understand your 1.5 GB reference.

I think you set the kernel maximum in /boot/loader.conf and can then set
per-user limits up to that value in /etc/login.conf.

IIRC the stock unmodified kernel limit is 512 MB per process, and the
login.conf default is the same 512 MB. Login.conf can not override the
kernel. Something like this needs to be added to /boot/loader.conf:

kern.maxdsiz="3G"	# think this is the absolute system per-process limit
kern.dfldsiz="3G"	# think this is the default per-process limit
kern.maxssiz="128M"	# stack size

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net