Fw: lothlorien.nagual.nl security run output

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.nl
Tue Aug 29 07:41:00 UTC 2006

On 28 Aug David Robillard wrote:

> Did you reinstall the entire OS _before_ you installed Osiris?  Did you
> find out why your SUID files had changed in the first place?

No. I did a "diff" with the same files on other freebsd-6.1 machines which
I'm absolutely certain are not compromised. The files where exactly the
same. I use the same port collections and always portupgrade the machines
at the same time. So I'm quite sure it must have been some software
packages that changed the suid bit. It's too much work to find out exactly
which ones, given the fact it's not that important after all.

> If not, then your base Osiris database might contain already
> compromised software. Which makes Osiris useless...

I know..

> >Use the default configuration for this OS (yes/no) yes
> >
> >Nothing happens.. (as it seems..)

> I had the same problem with FreeBSD 5.3 and then moved to 6.1 which
> cleared this problem. I suspect it has to do with network timeouts that
> have been changed via sysctl.conf(5). Have you done any modifications to
> your sysctl.conf file?

I run 6.1 so it's weird that nothing happens..
I did not change a thing in sysctl.conf except for some hw.snd settings.
They can't be blamed I suppose ;-)

Maybe you have some clues.

--
dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ The Power to Serve