taking many 198k mp3 files and converting them to 16k mp3

steveb at erienet.net steveb at erienet.net
Sun Aug 27 22:13:42 UTC 2006

> 	Ah, thank you, thank you.  I just can't see wasting so much of my disk
> 	[and bakup disks] for what are mostly voice/lectures.
>
> 	I suppose I can buy a DVD-R[W] and fnd out, but is there any reason
> 	why I can't have many hours of audio on a DVD?  In other words, id a DVD
> 	*only* for video?   --Might be nice to gather (parts of) my favorite CD's
> 	onto one Very long-playing disk.

If your DVD player can't play mp3s, then it can't play DVDs. ;)
Remember, mp3s are the audio layer of mpegs. And DVD videos consist of
mpegs.
You can downsample mp3s via lame:

#!/bin/sh
for i in $(ls *.mp3);
do lame -b 16 $i -o $i.mp3;
done

This will leave you with with files named *.mp3.mp3. Check out
'basename' to solve this. Not that your DVD player is going to care.
Then use "growisofs" to burn your mp3s to a data DVD:

growisofs -Z /dev/insert_device_name_here -J -R .

This assumes you issue the growisofs command from the dir where your
mp3s are.
Happy listening,

Steve
--
"Sed omnia praeclara tam difficilia, quam rara sunt."
06 12 09 0E 0B 12 15 0C 05 13