BSDstats: Just added - Vendor Stats

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at freebsd.org
Sun Aug 27 14:18:59 UTC 2006

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> On 8/26/06, Atom Powers <atom.powers at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Really? Why is that neat? nVidia restricts your choices through their
>> > staunch refusal to provide open specs. They are not nice players in this
>> > game. At least there's some hope about ATI after the AMD deal.
>> >

>> Probably because the /good/ AMD boards use an nVidia chipsets. ( eg, the
>> K8N)
>>

> What I think is interesting is the only ~50% uptake of FreeBSD/amd64
> on 64-bit x86 capable systems. FreeBSD/i386 takes ~90% of the pie.
> Also the less then 1% uptake of sparc64 and alpha ports and 0% for
> FreeBSD/PPC. Maybe we should can some of these platform ports, how
> much overhead do they add to the project?

Well, considering we are only seeing ~2 weeks of stats, I think its a bit
early to 'can ports' :)

But, as far as 'overhead do they add', my guess is next to zero ... those
working on those ports are most likely those more familiar with PPC/Sparc
then they are with Intel stuff, so, in essence, we've attract those
developers to us vs converted existing developers over to those platforms
for porting purposes ...