rubygems in ports

Philip Hallstrom freebsd at philip.pjkh.com
Fri Aug 25 16:06:18 UTC 2006

> I've been meaning to ask this for a while... what is the motivation for
> including individual Ruby gems in ports?  It strikes me as unnecessary
> duplication, as the gem tool works well on its own, even for gems with C
> code.  Are there many gems with FreeBSD-specific extensions or dependencies?
>
> And which is preferable - pure gems or ports+gems?

I was just wondering the same thing.  I don't think it hurts to have both
though...  I would assume that the port version has been a little better
tested to work with the rest of the ruby world as well as make sure it
picks up any c extensions (mysql, gd gems for example that need external
libs) automatically...

maybe?