(no subject)

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Fri Aug 25 16:02:07 UTC 2006

What that statement means is the network daemons will be running.  If you
don't have a NIC in the box, they won;t do much.

Yes you can run dumb terminals if you want, but make sure if you use a
mutliport serial card it is supported.  You may also need to enable the
gettys to run on those ports.

         -Derek

At 08:18 PM 8/24/2006, Joseph Markarian wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have been reading on FreeBSD 6.1 with a view of installing in our 10
>user shop.
>The book is: FreeBSD 6 Unleashed, by Michael Urban and Brian Tiemann (SAMS).
>
>On Page 93: BSD VS SYS 5 RUN CONTROL , I quote
>
>"There is no multiuser mode without network support (in FreeBSD 6.1)  as
>there is in SYS V  run levels". Is this correct? This would mean that I
>can not install FreeBSD in a small 10 user office without network support?
>
>I have work with all versions of unix (ATT, SCO, AIX, SUN) etc and they
>all have multiuser mode without network support. It should be possible to
>get an Intel processor and 10 dumm terminals, hook them up by wire and
>you'd be in business. This is true for the unix I mentioned above. Is it
>also true for ANY version of BSD (free or otherwise)?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Joe Markarian

>--
>believed to be clean.