portupgrade

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Thu Aug 24 17:46:07 UTC 2006

Johnny Choque wrote:

> I'm newbie in Freebsd and initially I have use cvsup and portupgrade. I
> haven't clear what is the difference to use portupgrade, portsnap,
> portmanager, and other ones? Could you recommend us one of them?

Actually, it tends to be a matter of personal preference.

I prefer portsnap to cvsup for updating the ports system. After the
initial run of the program it runs, IMHO, faster and is more secure. In
addition, you do not have to build an index after it finishes.

Portmanager and portupgrade both strive to accomplish, to a degree,
somewhat similar goals. There are things that portupgrade can do that
portmanager cannot. However, again IMHO, for keeping your system
up-to-date, I find portmanager to be somewhat more suitable.

Try them all. Find out what you like best. The only cravat is if you use
cvsup, which you have and then run portsnap, if you again run cvsup you
will have to start from scratch with postsnap again. Not the worst thing
in the world though.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net