More newbie questions-again?

backyard backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 00:39:59 UTC 2006

--- "E. Gad" <p1agu313 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> backyard <backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> --- "E. Gad"
>  wrote:
>

> > Svein Halvor Halvorsen
> > wrote: Subhro wrote:
> > > yourself. However remember to cvsup your ports
> > tree before you start
> > > using it to get the required software. Refer to
> > the handbook for
> > > understanding how ports work.
> >
> > For most people portsnap would be a better way of
> > updating one's ports
> > tree. Firstly, it's in the base system and thus
> > doesn't require any
> > third party software. Secondly, most newbies find
> it
> > easier to use.
>
> as long as your remember to install it as a port
> during the install or add it with sysinstall or
> pkg_add. cvsup-nogui then doing a:
>
> make update in /usr/src or /usr/ports will
> automagically use the default examples and update
> things. As long as your going from a 6.x base it
> will
> continue on Rel_6.x. If you started with 5.x it will
> continue to update 5.x. Ports will always update to
> the latest and greatest as it uses a different tag.
> find this very easy, I'm also afraid of change.
> Though
> portsnap is more secure because it uses encryption
> and
> I've heard signs the updates. To each their own
> though
> one way of the other updating your SRC and PORTS is
> an
> important thing to learn how to do.
>

> >  Svein Halvor
> >
> > Hmm porstnap seemed to have worked ok. I installed
> > the portupgrade suite through pkg_add.
> >  Somethings still not happy. Because when  took a
> > stab at installing:
> >  nvidia-driver
> >  nvidia-glx
> >  xorg and compat 5 as a dependency for
> > nvidia-driver/nvidia-glx
> >
> >  nvidia can't find something and I don't know what
> > because the first part of the message scrolls of
> the
> > screen- (remember I'm not in xorg yet)
>
> if you don't have X yet then I don't think the
> nvidia
> drivers will install because they are quite
> dependant
> on X.
>
> no X required here...
> hit scroll lock and then PgUp and PgDn this will let
> you view the scroll back buffer and see what you
> cannot see. the up and down arrows will work too.
>

> >  -What the newbie here has done so far to help
> > itself-
> >  Just as a guess-reinstalled linux_base because I
> > remembered reading on a Just Some Guys 'Blog abut
> > the same problem
> >  thinking it couldn't hurt anything since I hadn't
> > installed hardly much of anything-
> >  cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base.
> >  make deinstall
> >  make clean
> >  make install
> [...]

well it looks like gettext is messed up or rpm can't
find the proper library to link to. Try (re)installing
gettext. The rest happens because rpm is missing and I
think nividia's drivers are packaged as an rpm.

I don't know why fedora-core is popping up. perhaps
you need to set LINUX_BASE=gentoo in make.conf. I
think that is the correct syntax but man make.conf
should have the right syntax. I think for whatever
reason rpm has something to do with the fedora-core
base source. I'm not positive but building it in the
past I seem to recall something going on with
fedora-core. that or i seem to recall nvidia used a
self running and extracting rpm which is linked to
fedora core because redhat obviously created the
redhat package manager.

-brian