Time zone isn't displaying right one with 'tzsetup'

Pete Slagle freebsd-questions at voidcaptain.com
Thu Aug 24 00:14:18 UTC 2006

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 22 August 2006 at 23:45:19 -0400, Robert Gabaree wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to update my new server to the new time zone by running
>> 'tzsetup' and selecting Eastern.  However, instead of showing 11:45,
>> it shows 6:45 - 5 hours later.  I even tried to do a 'cp /usr/share/
>> zoneinfo/EST5EDT /etc/localtime" but it didn't help.  What can I do
>> to fix it?
>
> That depends on whether you're running ntpd or not.  If you are, your
> best bet is to stop ntpd and run ntpdate, specifying the same server,
> then restart ntpd.
>
> If you're not running ntpd, just set the date:
>
>   date 08232355
>
> See the man page for the format.
>
> Greg

Also, instead of copying EST5EDT to /etc/localtime you can use a
symlink. That way when EST5EDT gets updated you will automatically use
the new version.

So,

  su
  cd /etc
  ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT localtime
  exit

Obviously, substitute the appropriate zoneinfo file if you are not on US
Eastern time.