Ethernet over Firewire fwe0:

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Aug 23 21:42:21 UTC 2006

Hello,

Sorry for adding to my post before anyone responds, but:
I went ahead and installed from CD and have tried to talk to
the net with the fully installed system up.
During boot it finds the fwe0: card and appears to be happy,
but nothing talks.  When I do an 'ifconfig -a'  I get:

 fwe0: flags=108943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu 1500
      options=8<VLAN_MTU>
      inet6 fe80::6:1bff"fe23"3833%fwe0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
      inet 35.8.1.20 netmask 0xfff80000 broadcast 35.15.255.255
      ether 02:06:1b:23:38:33
      ch 1 dma 0

Followed by the lo0:   loopback stuff.

It looks a lot like the other machines I have plugged in to the
same switch that work except for the 'NEEDSGIANT' thing.

Am I right in assuming that it would not come up with this ifconfig
and the fwe stuff in the boot messages if it were not properly in
the kernel?

Are there any clues from this or where else can I look to see why
this thing doesn't talk to the net (but does in XP)?

I will appreciate any direction.  The only only google hits I have gotten
that seem possibly relevant point to ubuntu and I can't seem to get to
that server (from another machine that is working)- it times out.

////jerry