Problems with recording

Matti J. Karki mjk at iki.fi
Wed Aug 23 20:37:31 UTC 2006

Hi!

I tried to find some information about this issue via Google and it
seems that I'm not only one having this problem, but there was no
clear solution available.

So...

I try to use microphone for recording. The sound card (Conexant
AC-Link Audio) works otherwise correctly, but when trying to read from
/dev/dsp, the following error message will be spit out:

pcm0:record:0:dsp0.0: record interrupt timeout, channel dead

The mixer shows the following:

Mixer vol      is currently set to  55:55
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  48:48
Mixer speaker  is currently set to   0:0
Mixer line     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mic      is currently set to   1:1
Mixer cd       is currently set to  52:52
Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer igain    is currently set to   1:1
Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: mic

The /dev/sndstat shows:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Acer Labs M5451> at io 0x8400 irq 5 kld snd_t4dwave (4p/1r/0v
channels duplex default)

So, the playback works, but I'm unable to record anything. I'm able to
hear myself from the headphones (so the hardware should work as
expected).

The machine is an HP laptop and only real information about the
chipset is that it is a Conexant chip.

I would appreciate any help on this issue. Has anyone any pointers,
where to start looking for the solution?

        -Matti