e-mail from cron

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Wed Aug 23 18:06:12 UTC 2006

> >> to this:
> >>
> >> # Perform daily/weekly/monthly maintenance.
> >> 1       3       *       *       *       root    periodic daily
> >> 2>&1 | sendmail service at jellico.com
> > [...]
> > However, you might find it easier to just add the following line to
> > the
> > top of the crontab:
> > MAILTO=service at jellico.com
> > Which will cause all mail generated by the jobs in that file to be
> > sent
> > to the provided address.
>
> Is that true? MAILTO should change the destination of the output of
> cron jobs, but periodic handles its own output

You're correct.  That's my mistake and I apologize for the misinformation.

Simply put, periodic does not generate any output to either stdout or
stderr.  It has its own system for determining who to mail to.  See
/etc/defaults/periodic.conf or appropriate man pages for the details.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.