FreeBSD on Dell PE850

DW spock at dwinner.net
Tue Aug 22 10:58:56 UTC 2006

Josh Paetzel wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience running FBSD 6.x on a PE850?  I'm
> specifically wondering about support for their base-configuration
> onboard NIC and their CERC SATA RAID controller.

I have not upgraded to 6.x yet, but have been running 5.5 very
successfully on over twenty PE850's in production. CERC SATA RAID
(configured as two-drive mirrors) was a cinch, as was the onboard NIC
(bge: Broadcom BCM5721 Gigabit Ethernetb). I don't see any reason why
6.x would cause any problems. Nothing special to note on installation.