Rebuilding Kernel

Mikhail Goriachev mikhailg at webanoide.org
Tue Aug 22 08:01:43 UTC 2006

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2006-08-21 16:28, beno <zope at 2012.vi> wrote:
>> Hi;
>> I just barely finished upgrading from 5.3 to 6.1 and all is well,
>> however, now I realize I have to rebuild my kernel again to accommodate
>> PF. I've edited the correct GENERIC file (I'm on an i386 box).
>
> Don't edit GENERIC.  It's very rarely a good idea.  If you spend some
> time to fine tune GENERIC to your own particular setup, matching your
> own preferences, you may be surprised in a very bad way after the next
> CVSup run, when all your local modifications are blown away by CVSup as
> it updates your 'GENERIC' configuration to the official GENERIC status.
>
> It is a *FAR* better idea to copy GENERIC and edit a copy.  Most of the
> time I even go as far as copying GENERIC _outside_ of the `/usr/src'
> tree, i.e. in `/root/kernconf/LOCAL' and symlink that file inside the
> source tree, i.e. at `/usr/src/sys/i386/conf'.
>
>> Are these commands sufficient?
>>
>> make buildkernel
>> make installkernel
>
> Not necessarily.
>
>> or do I need to redo all this?
>>
>> make buildkernel
>> make installkernel
>> sh /etc/rc.shutdown
>> pkill sendmail
>> pkill syslogd
>> mergemaster -p
>> make installworld
>> mergemaster
>> reboot
>> /usr/local/bin/portmanager -u -f -l -y
>> make delete-old-libs
>
> Why are you running `/etc/rc.shutdown' manually?
>
> Why are you using `pkill' on Sendmail and syslogd?

That was just an *example*[1] I gave Beno for the remote upgrade.
Apparently, it's been taken very seriously and copy-pasted.

Cheers,
Mikhail.

[1] -
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-August/129129.html

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg at webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B