[OT] CVSUP (was "Re: Was: Re: Why This Infinite Loop??")

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Aug 21 19:46:07 UTC 2006

Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu> writes:

> Gerard Seibert wrote:

>> IMHO, it might be a lot easier for him to use portsnap. Especially
>> if he is not familiar with the FBSD ports system. Just my opinion
>> though.

>    CVSUP isn't that difficult IMHO to learn, and is a better, more
> efficient way to download the ports Makefiles.

In what way?  For typical applications, lower bandwidth usage is
supposedly an advantage of portsnap.

>                                                It will take him all of
> 10-20 minutes to configure if he reads the documentation and uses the
> example file.

I would think so.  And it can be used with arbitrary cvs trees,
including the FreeBSD source tree.  On the other hand, it doesn't
come in the FreeBSD base system, and it doesn't sign the updates.
		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/