[OT] CVSUP (was "Re: Was: Re: Why This Infinite Loop??")

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Mon Aug 21 19:34:10 UTC 2006

On Monday 21 August 2006 15:02, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>     CVSUP isn't that difficult IMHO to learn, and is a better, more
> efficient way to download the ports Makefiles. It will take him all of
> 10-20 minutes to configure if he reads the documentation and uses the
> example file.

I am always willing to learn something new. How is it more efficient at
downloading the port's Makefiles? I agree that the first time you
run 'portsnap' it might take twenty minutes to fetch and extract the files.
However, after that it only requires a fetch and update to complete the job.
It appears, to me anyway, to run at least as quick as cvsup plus I do not
have to rebuild the index. If he runs cvsup I believe he has to rebuild the
index, or am I mistaken?

In any case, he has to use one method or the other or he will never get his
system updated.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net

Every man takes the limits of his own field
of vision for the limits of the world.

	Schopenhauer