pkg database backup and restore

DW spock at dwinner.net
Mon Aug 21 18:30:03 UTC 2006

Hello,

Can anyone provide some practical insight into best methods of backing
up and restoring package databases?

Inside of /var/db there are 2 directories:
    /var/db/ports
    and
    /var/db/pkg

/var/db/ports I pretty much understand; that seems to simply be the
config options saved from when a port is installed. ok.

/var/db/pkg contains:

    pkgdb.db

    and a subdirectory for every port installed.

If part of a normal backup routine, we are regularly backing up
/var/db/pkg, how can we best use that backup in a scenario in which a
machine needs to be rebuilt from scratch, and we're trying to save time
going through and doing a portinstall on everything we can remember that
should be installed? (or alternatively taking a backup of the results
from a periodic "pkg_info > installed_packages.txt" and painstakenly
going through the list and reinstalling everything one-by-one).

Essentially, we're just looking for a streamlined approach to restoring
the installed ports when we need to rebuild a machine.

Thanks,
DW