setting up imap/sasl

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Mon Aug 21 02:16:18 UTC 2006

I'm having trouble setting up imap/sasl.  Here's what I have:

 # pkg_info | grep cyrus
cyrus-imapd-2.3.7   The cyrus mail server, supporting POP3 and IMAP4
protocols
cyrus-sasl-2.1.22   RFC 2222 SASL (Simple Authentication and Security
Layer)
cyrus-sasl-saslauthd-2.1.22 SASL authentication server for cyrus-
sasl2

When I run imtest, I see two problems:

1 - I see only two AUTH= clauses: DIGEST-MD5 and CRAM-MD5.  Shouldn't
I see one for SASL?

2 - I've been unable to get authorization to work.

$ imtest -m login -a admin -u admin polo
S: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID AUTH=DIGEST-MD5
AUTH=CRAM-MD5 SASL-IR] polo.unixathome.org Cyrus IMAP4 v2.3.7 server
ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-
MD5 SASL-IR ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS
NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT
SORT=MODSEQ THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE
CATENATE CONDSTORE IDLE LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED URLAUTH
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN admin {5}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 NO Login failed: authentication failure
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0

I've tried various sasl_pwcheck_method options.  The above is with
"saslauthd".  With "auxprop", it is similar, but:

Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN admin {5}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
failure: prot layer failure

I'm losts.  Help please?

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php