nforce audio problem

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 21 02:03:18 UTC 2006

On Sunday, 20 August 2006 at 10:47:17 +0000, Brad Kowalczyk wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On Sunday, 20 August 2006 at  4:44:06 +0000, Brad Kowalczyk wrote:
>>> Seems I have the correct driver loaded and the device exists but no
>>> sound...
>>
>> It would be good to say which one (kldstat output), but from below I
>> expect you'll have:

> Here's my kldstat output:
>
> (all drivers loaded)
>
> I reallise I don't need all those other sound drivers, but can't
> seem tp find where to disable them...

That depends on how you enabled them :-) You should have something
like this in /var/run/dmesg.boot:

  pcm0: <nVidia nForce2> port 0xe400-0xe4ff,0xe800-0xe87f mem 0xeb000000-0xeb000fff irq 21 at device 6.0 on pci0
  pcm0: <Avance Logic ALC655 AC97 Codec>

In this case, you should add to your /boot/loader.conf (creating the
file if it doesn't exist):

  snd_ich_load=YES

>> It might also help if you can connect the pcm device to a different
>> IRQ from the nv device; but that depends on your motherboard BIOS.
>
> I'm running 5.4 STABLE. I don't have much experience on FreeBSD, how do
> I change the IRQ for a device?

As I say,

>> that depends on your motherboard BIOS.

I'd look in the PCI device configuration first.

It might also help to move to 6.1.  I had problems with sound on this
board until I did.

Greg