Missing operating system (puzzle)

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Sun Aug 20 14:41:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 07:31 am, Peter wrote:
> On a test system I have 3 SATA drives.  On the 1st drive I
> installed FBSD 6.0, updated sources/ports, build and install
> world/kernel. Rebooted.  All is well.
>
> I set up RAID0 on the other 2 drives using my (Tyan) mobo's
> controller (NVRAID).  This array shows up as /dev/ar0.
>
> I proceeded to set up a filesystem on ar0:
>
> # fdisk -I /dev/ar0
> # bsdlabel -w /dev/ar0s1
> # bsdlabel -e /dev/ar0s1
>
> e: * * 4.2BSD
>
> # newfs /dev/ar0s1e
> # mkdir /vol1
> # mount /dev/ar0s1e /vol1
>
> Everything worked fine.  df shows ar0s1e as 300 GB.
>
> I edit /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/ar0s1e   /vol1   ufs   rw   2   2
>
> I reboot:
>
> # reboot
>
> "Missing operating system"
No expert on this; but I suspect the BIOS is looking for the OS
on the newly setup raid.

If this is the case you could see what boot options there are in
the BIOS settings. If that doesn't go anywhere you could try
putting a BSD boot selection MBR on ar0 which should then give
you an option of booting from the next drive.

Malcolm