how to change the root user's name on FreeBSD 6.1 running postfix

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Sun Aug 20 12:48:06 UTC 2006

> Hi,
>
> I am running postfix on FreeBSD 4.11 and 6.1 servers.
>
> In FreeBSD 4.11, you can run 'chsh root'  and edit the name to what you
> want.  However, on my FreeBSD 6.1 servers, I still receive email addressed
> from 'root unix'.   I would like to be able to differentiate the root mail
> according to server the mail came from  :-)
>
> Any idea's?

Use 'vipw' and edit that field in the root entry.
Don't change the id name or the UID fields, just the part of the
entry that says 'root unix' or whatever to what you want for each machine.

The vipw utility works just like 'vi' only it takes care of correct
file locking and updating master.passwd and the passwd database for you
when you exit with a :wq

////jerry