Ouch! "write failed, file system is full"

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 20 00:06:35 UTC 2006

On Saturday, 19 August 2006 at 18:55:02 -0500, W. D. wrote:
> How do I get out of this mess?
>
> gzip: stdout: No space left on device
> Broken pipe
>
> df
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/da0s1a     99183    98644    -7395   108%    /
>
> I tried to do a backup:
>
> cd /
> mkdir archive
> tar -zcvpf /archive/full-backup-`date '+%Y-%B-%d'`.tar.gz  --directory / --exclude=mnt --exclude=proc --exclude=archive --exclude=cache .
>
> What did I do wrong, and how to fix it and do it right?

Without knowing what your file system hierarchy is, it's a very good
bet that you've written your backup archive to the root file system.
This could happen even if you have a file system /archive and you
haven't mounted it, and it won't go away if you do mount it; you'll
have to remove the partial archive first.

That's a *very* small root file system, BTW.

Greg