How to prevent users from receiving email

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Sat Aug 19 23:40:04 UTC 2006

Daniel Gerzo <danger at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hello Bill,
>
> Sunday, August 20, 2006, 1:21:39 AM, you wrote:
>
> > Apparently my memory is useless and I've lost the ability to use
> > google as well.
>
> > I just added a user account to a mail server, but I don't want that
> > user to receive mail on that server.  It's running Postfix.
>
> > I seem to remember a canonical method for preventing certain users
> > from receiving email.  But my memory has failed, and I can't seem
> > to find anything on google.
>
> > Is it an /etc/aliases trick?
>
> Indeed. Just make it go to /dev/null:
>
> user: /dev/null
>
> Do not forget to run newaliases ;-)

Hmm ...

That works, but it would be nice to have it reject the mail instead.
Otherwise, someone could hog a lot of my bandwidth sending mails to
the bit-bucket.

--
Bill Moran

JAYNE: It ain't impossible! Saint Jayne, It's got a ring to it.
BOOK: I'm just trying to remember how many miracles you've performed.
JAYNE: I once hit a guy in the neck at five hundred yards with a bent scope,
       don't that count upstairs?
BOOK: Oh, it'll be taken into consideration...
JAYNE: Well you make that sound kinda ominous...