pkgdb -Fu failing: can't convert nil into String

parv at pair.com parv at pair.com
Sat Aug 19 16:39:53 UTC 2006

in message <44E72508.9000909 at enabled.com>,
wrote Noah thusly...

> Somebody know what is going on here?  I can't figure it out and
> never seen this before.

Neither do i but that won't stop me from speculating ...

> # pkgdb -Fu
> --->  Updating the pkgdb
> --->  Checking the package registry database
> Stale dependency: b2evolution-0.9.2 -> marked ():
> marked: Not in due form: <name>-<version>

Here, "marked" seems like some sort of place holder for the missing
dependency port.  The otherwise non empty "()" contain the port
directory, under ${PORTSDIR:-/usr/ports}, of the dependency port.

> Install stale dependency? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [yes] a
> can't convert nil into String

When you answered "all", pkgdb prepared to install the port "marked"
but  could not parse that name in <name>-<version> format, so the
result was empty string or 'nil' in Ruby, the programming language
of choice for portupgrade tools.

  - Parv