Mounting a snapshot of a file system

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Sat Aug 19 03:58:51 UTC 2006

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:21 am, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I believe that this might be possible..
>
> I have created a snapshot of a filesystem and moved it to a
> remote host:
>
> dump -L0af - / | ssh remote_host 'gzip > snapshot.gz'
>
> Now I have the file snapshot.gz on the remote host.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. How can I mount this snapshot and access its contents?

# zcat snapshot.gz | restore -i -f -
See the restore(8) man page.

> 2. How can I use this snapshot to create another system (a
> clone)?
This question leaves me wondering whether you realise that dump
only backsup a single partition. From your dump you can only
clone the root partition which usually is quite small and does
not on its own lead to a useful system.

Anyway to restore this you need to create a suitable partition,
initialise it with newfs, mount the partition, cd into the
partition and then run restore -r. Again look at the restore(8)
man page.

Malcolm