rsync on Freebsd 5.3

Lars Kristiansen lars+lister.freebsd at adventuras.no
Fri Aug 18 18:55:18 UTC 2006

Lisa Casey skrev:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to transfer all files in /var/mail from one Freebsd 5.3
> machine (oldfreebsd.com) to another (newfreebsd.com). I decided to use
> rsync for this since it would preserve ownership, permissions, etc. I
> made sure rsync was installed on both machines. Neither machine had an
> /etc/rsyncd.conf or /etc/rsyncd.motd file. On newfreebsd.com I created
> /etc/rsyncd.conf thusly:
>
> motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd
> max connections = 1
> hosts allow = 208.44.xx.xx
>
> (The IP address is that of oldfreebsd.com)
>
> On newfreebsd.com, I created rsyncd.motd with the words Authorized Users
> Only in it.
>
> as a test, I'm just trying to rsync /var/mail/lisa from oldfreebsd.com
> to newfreebsd.com. When that works I'll do all of /var/mail/
>
> on oldfreebsd.com I cd /var/mail, then  type:  rsync lisa
> newfreebsd.com:/var/mail/
>
> and get this:
>
> connect to host newfreebsd.com port 22: Connection refused
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(348)
>
> Anyone know what might be wrong? Or can anyone suggest a better way of
> moving these mail boxes?

Hi!
About rsync:

1.
Are you trying to do rsync over ssh as root?
Freebsd default is to refuse root to login over ssh.

2.
Your command syntax is for rsync over ssh.
No need for server. You only need rsync installed in path on both sides.
You may want to consider some options like -navP, see man rsync.

3.
The configuration files are for setting up rsync as server.
That uses port 873. And may provide anonymous login.
To connect to see what modules are shared from a server:
rsync example.com::

--
Regard from Lars