Laser Scanners: Do you know what Kyeboard Wedge is ?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Aug 18 16:03:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Henry Lenzi wrote:

> I need to purchase a handheld laser scanner (for a market) and I
> would like it to work with FreeBSD, as that is the OS I plan on
> installing there (preferably, if I can - I want to avoid Linux, if
> possible).
>
> I found this, that claims to work "out of the box". Apparently, there
> is this interface called Keyboard Wedge.
>
> "Keyboard Wedge is the simplest and best way to connect the scanner to
> a regular desk top computer. There is no software to install, just
> connect in the keyboard circuit and start scanning. Works with ALL
> applications and ALL Operating Systems running on industry standard
> architecture PCs- Windows, DOS, Linux, FreeBSD, Unix etc."

The scanner plugs in as a keyboard, and the system sees scanned data as
if it was typed by the user.  No software to install.  The scanner has a
Y-cable so both it and the keyboard are attached at the same time.

I've used the Intermec 1802 LED scanners with FreeBSD and other systems
with excellent results.

The Intermec 1802 is good for a couple of feet with large barcodes.  The
tradeoff with laser scanners for longer range is that they have moving
parts (a wiggling mirror to move the laser back and forth) and are not
as tough as LED scanners, and much more expensive.