Needing a guide/tutorial please

Derrick Edwards derrick at uniquestrength.net
Fri Aug 18 11:16:54 UTC 2006

On Friday 18 August 2006 05:59, Helge Preuss wrote:
> >          Looking for a guide online somewhere that will walk me through
> > setting up a mail server with the following items on it.
> >
> > SpamAssassin
> > Postfix (pop3 and smtp setup)
> > MySQL (for database driven mail user administration)
> > MyPHPAdmin (to visually admin the database)
> > Squirrelmail (for webmail)
> > Apache (for squirrelmail)
> > Dovecot Imap (for squirrelmail)
> > Postfix Admin <- this is the reason for the need to have a mysql driven
> > mail user database.  It's apparently required for this to work.  Plus
> > database driven user management tends to be easier.  Of course, if you
> > know
> > of a better way to graphically admin mail users without using a database,
> > I'm all ears.  :)
> > And lastly, some kind of web based server admin page that's similar to
> > webmin, but more secure.
>
> Here is a guide for Gentoo Linux that addresses most, if not all of your
> requirements:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml

	Hi,
I dont think what you propose is over the top at all. I have all these
elements running now. Using (http://www.postfix.org/docs.html), you can
pretty much get everything running from there. In addition to the programs
you already stated I would recommend using amavisd-new
(http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd). With that you get SpamAssassin and
Primary/Secondary antivirus protection. Also, make sure you use TLS to secure
your webmail traffic. If you have any questions let me know. Really, it is
quite easy to get this stuff and running. I never used webmin, but apache
maintenace should be minimal.
r/
Derrick