Opera spellcheck doesn't work (aspell does)

Martin Tournoij carpetsmoker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 20:10:32 UTC 2006

Spell checking in opera doesn't work, opera says that aspell isn't
installed (it is).
comandline aspell works fine.

The weirdest thing is that the problem is present at both my workstations,
the one at home and the one at work, one is running FreeBSD 6.0 and the
other 6.1.

Opera 8.5 spellcheck also didn't work, although I do remember that it
worked at some time, although this was a long time ago. (I think that was
with 5.4, not sure though)

Is this a FreeBSD, opera or aspell problem? Look like it's FreeBSD.

I posted this message at the opera forums, unfortunatly without any
results...

I've tried:
removing and installing opera
removing and installing aspell
symlinking libaspell to /usr/X11R6/share/opera/plugins
Looking for some configuration variable, can't find one in GUI,
opera:config or in any of the config files.
Removing my .opera
Running opera as root (Desperate....)

Thank you for reading.
Martin Tournoij

Some system information

uname -a:
FreeBSD carpet 6.1-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p1 #0: Mon Jul 24
20:56:44 UTC 2006 root at carpet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

opera:about:
Version information
Version 9.00
Build 344
Platform FreeBSD
System i386, 6.1-RELEASE-p1
Qt library 3.3.6
Java Java Runtime Environment installed
Browser identification
Opera/9.00 (X11; FreeBSD 6 i386; U; en)

Paths Preferences /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/opera6.ini
Saved session /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/sessions/AAAAA.win
Bookmarks /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/opera6.adr
Opera directory /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/
Cache /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/cache4/
Mail directory /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/mail/
Plug-in path /usr/X11R6/share/opera/plugins /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
User CSS directory /home/carpetsmoker/.opera/styles/user/

aspell --version
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.4)

ldconfig -r | grep "aspell"
206:-laspell.16 => /usr/local/lib/libaspell.so.16

Installation method
FreeBSD ports tree; www/opera and textproc/aspell
for opera: make install -DWITH_ASPELL -DWITH_SHARED
for aspell just make install