vmware on freebsd?

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Aug 15 14:15:27 UTC 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:53:39 +0200
Rico Secada <coolzone at io.dk> wrote:

> Someone commented, that its impossible to run VMWare on FreeBSD as a host,
> but thats wrong.

Sorry, should have been more precise:
 - latest versions of VMWare Workstation (4.5 + ) are not supported (and
most probably dont work) under FBSD as host. I'll have to try my 4.5 key in
version 3 ;).. oh,hang on, mine is for a Windows Vmware Workstation..... dont
you just *love* it? <G>

Yes, qemu is much slower than VMware.

 - VM Server isn't supported either. I am not so sure it would be as simple as
mapping the linux commands  to bsd ones... the fact that it needs the  *mod
linux commands implies they use linux kernel modules... which I would say are
not compatible with BSD. I'd love to be proven wrong :)