Esound + skype...

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Aug 15 13:20:34 UTC 2006

Hi all,
Box is running FreeBSD 6.1 Stable from Aug 11th 2006. Sound card is Intel HDAC,
with dev-driver  from Andrea , via multimedia@

I decided to give the esound server a try ( audio/esound). xmms + mplayer behave
nicely, but it seems that linux apps dont agree on how to use it.

Found from linux-firefox (from a flash animation, coming from
linux-flashplugin) doesnt work at all when using audio/esound.

Skype sees the /dev/dsp as already locked by other app. I tried 'esddsp skype'
but i get :

$ esddsp skype
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/local/lib/libesddsp.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be
preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/local/lib/libesd.so' from
LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

I then tried audio/linux-esound, (and had to install audio/linux-alsa-lib too),
but it seems /compat/linux/usr/bin/esd cannot find the sound device:

$ /usr/compat/linux/usr/bin/esd
ALSA lib confmisc.c:672:(snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver
returned error: No such device ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error
evaluating strings ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
snd_func_concat returned error: No such device ALSA lib
confmisc.c:1072:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name ALSA lib
conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No
such device ALSA lib conf.c:3962:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such
device ALSA lib pcm.c:2099:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default

i tried mounting devfs in /compat/linux/dev/ and pointing esd to it
( -d /compat/linux/dev/dsp) but:
$ /usr/compat/linux/usr/bin/esd -d /compat/linux/dev/dsp
- using device /compat/linux/dev/dsp
ALSA lib pcm.c:2099:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM /compat/linux/dev/dsp

so....
 1) is it possible to run a sound server (i.e., basically something that allows
several streams to play simultaneously without locking the dsp) so that both
native AND emulated apps will be happy with?
 2) am I missing something big ?

thanks!
Beto