Bad system clock

Girish Venkatachalam girish1729 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 12 12:31:39 UTC 2006

--- "P.U.Kruppa" <root at pukruppa.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Girish Venkatachalam wrote:
>

> Hello Girish!
>
> > --- "P.U.Kruppa" <root at pukruppa.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> for some time now my system clock really goes
> wrong
> >> (some hours
> >> per day). Is there some simple way to find out if
> >> this is caused
> >> by a hardware or software problem?
> >> By "simple" I mean without installing a different
> OS
> >> or buying a
> >> new computer?
> > My God! Buying a new computer is a simple
> solution?
> > :-)
> >
> > I think for a few Euro cents or DM you can simply
> buy
> > yourself a new CMOS battery and you should be set.
> Wouldn't there be a complaint about low battery or
> something
> during boot up?
Not always.

> > You have not given enough details about your
> problem.
> I can't: it's just my clock going wrong.
>
> > Did you try installed ntp?
> Yes, it doesn't help. ntpdate will set the clock
> correctly at
> boot time but soon afterwards it's all bad again.

ntpdate is a one time affair. It only helps correct
things when they go grievously wrong (like your case
for instance).

Whereas if you run ntpd then it polls a server, I use
ptbtime1.ptb.de, then your clock will be corrected
roughly every 17 mins(1024s) thus mitigating your
problem.

The real solution however lies in figuring out why
your clock is getting offset by several hours.

A single line in /etc/ntp.conf that says

server ptbtime1.ptb.de

should do the trick;
after installing the ntp port or package of course.

Best,
Girish