Mount Point permissions

Chris Whitehouse chris at childeric.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Aug 10 22:40:55 UTC 2006

Bob Richards wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 August 2006 23:23, you wrote:
>
>>> What about chowning the permissions on /dev/fd0 to be root:floppyusers,
>
> I went so far as chown bob:bob /dev/fd0 But after newfs get's through with the
> new floppy, it's chowned to root.
>
>> add a group floppyusers to /etc/group and make bob a member of that group.
>> Chmod 664 /dev/fd0
>
> Went down that road as well; created a group called "mounters", added bob to
> it.... no good! I even copied newfs to /home/bob/bin, put home/bob/bin first
> in the PATH, made that newfs setuid/setgid  bob no effect :-( Root wants to
> own the newly created file system no matter who formatted or created it.
>
>> Unfortunately I don't have any machines with floppy drives to test with.
>
> I personally don't have a need for floppy drives either; but I am setting up a
> dozen W/S to replace WINDOWZ in an office environment, and people expect to
> be able to use their floppies (especially with the GUI tools in KDE 3.5). I
> am hoping to use freebsd instead of Linux; which has become hard to maintain
> in long-term use because of things like libraries changing so often. The lack
> of "Library-Hell" in freebsd is refreshing.
>
> I guess "floppy-hell" is better than Library-hell :-) Floppy support is pretty
> bad on freebsd! I made the mistake of ejecting a mounted floppy yesterday;
> total system lock-up! I mean it was power off/on time! Not good!
>
> Bob

I wonder if these will help

http://caia.swin.edu.au/reports/041130A/
http://networking.ringofsaturn.com/Unix/FreeBSD-Burning.php

I am sure there is also something in the handbook or FAQ but I can't
spot it at the mo.

Also consider x11-fm/mtoolsfm. This is a graphical utility that allows
copying files between hard disk, floppy disk and usb key _without_
mounting the removeable drives. It is limited to fat or fat32
filesystems but it does mean your users won't crash the box when they
yank the usb key or floppy without unmounting.

I've got this all set up on one box, including cd/dvd burning but it
would take a bit of digging to find all the bits. Email me offlist if
you want my devfs.rules and snips from other files.

Chris