Firefox amd mailto:

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu Aug 10 18:25:49 UTC 2006

> Jerry McAllister wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I recently installed Firefox 1.5 on a FreeBSD 6.1 system.
> > Mostly it seems to work fine with some apparent finickyness
> > about odd character sets.   Since it does not include Email, I
> > also installed Thunderbird which works as its own standalone.
> >
> > But, when I am looking at a web page that has a 'mailto:' in a
> > tag and I click on the link to send a message to whoever, nothing
> > happens - presumably because there is no mail handler in Firefox.
> >
> > So, how, in FreeBSD 6.xxx do I deal with this?   Can I make it
> > call up something like a plugin or whatever to handle that mailto:
> > Email item.    I haven't found anything that looks like a
> > configuration item for such as that.
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can give,
> >
> > ////jerry
>
> use about:config in Firefox and set network.protocol-handler.app.mailto
> to /usr/X11R6/bin/thunderbird

Wow, thank you very much.
It was interesting to learn about about:config
I fished around on the Mozilla site for quite a while and didn't
really find anything of value and a post to a forum just got me a
link to some MS-Win setup and some Gnome and KDE configuration notes.

At first, there was no preference in about:config on my Firefox called:
   'network.protocol-handler.app.mailto'
but almost by accident while poking around, I learned I could bring
up a box to add one by right clicking and then clicking on 'New', so
now I have it.
I also had to turn on:  'network.protocol-handler.expose.mailto'
which is a boolean and just flips on a double-click.
But, now it works.

So, thanks,

////jerry