newbie & setup

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu Aug 10 15:54:08 UTC 2006

> Bruce Greene wrote:
> > Hi —
> >
> > In setting up FreeBSD 6.1, i don't know what group or member groups to
> > choose.
> >
> > Thank you -
> >

> > Bruce Greene
> > Macs Plus  410 764-8599
> > bgreene at macsplus.com
> > http://www.macsplus.com

> When I set up a user at install, I leave the group alone so the system
> will automatically create a group for my username and then I add wheel
> to the member groups so I can su to root.
>
> It works for me.

That is pretty much it.
After you have done a few systems, you will tend to have some groups
you commonly use and you will probably want to keep to that habit
as that can make some things easier when you move things around.
But, for the beginning, just take what it gives you and then, like
Jeff says, pick one regular login and add wheel to its list of groups
it is a member of so you can do the su thing.

////jerry