Accessing FreeBSD partition from Windows with dual boot

Matti J. Karki mjk at iki.fi
Thu Aug 10 15:53:32 UTC 2006

On 8/10/06, Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h at lvor.halvorsen.cc> wrote:
> Martin Miedema wrote:
> > I'm looking for a way to access (read only is fine) a FreeBSD partition
> > on my Windows installation on a dual boot notebook (so Samba won't do
> > the trick)
>
> Maybe this will do: http://ffsdrv.sourceforge.net/
>
> I haven't tried it myself, though, so I can't really recommend that you
> use it on a real file system with real data, until you've done some testing.

I have used that driver few times for accessing FreeBSD partitions.
Works great. At least I haven't encountered any real problems with it.

The usage of the management tool was a bit tricky at first, but once
you get to know the numbering scheme, there should be no problems.

The driver creates a drive letter under the Windows system and all
files are accessible via normal File Explorer functions. The
management tool is used to load the driver and mount/unmount
partitions (there is no installation of any drivers to the operating
system, which is great IMHO).

        -Matti