Up to v2.2 ... ( Was: Re: BSDstats Project v2.0 ... )

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at freebsd.org
Wed Aug 9 16:59:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, pauls at utdallas.edu wrote:

> --On August 9, 2006 9:32:18 AM +1000 Antony Mawer <fbsd-questions at mawer.org>
> wrote:

>>> Absolutely nothing else we do with it ... it just gives us a unique key
>>> to work with ... in fact, assuming each of your servers use a different
>>> IP, there is no reason you couldn't do the uname trick above to hide
>>> the  hostname ...
>>>
>>> Unless someone breaks into the server, or database, somehow, the data
>>> isn't accessible ...
>>
>> What if we improved upon this - if instead of storing the hostname and
>> IP address, we stored a one-way hash of this information? OpenSSH in
>> recent versions takes the same approach with its authorized_keys files...
>>
> I like that idea.  I'm ready to submit my workstation, but I'm still a bit
> hesitant about some servers I admin....A one way hash would alleviate my
> concerns.

'k, v2.2 brings us up to hashed unique keys, for more anonymity, and we've
just added 'class' and 'subclass' to the devices report, so that we can
improve the reporting, namely, so that we can group things better (ie. all
RAID controllers or all ethernet controllers), that sort of thing ...

the devices list is getting a bit big to load right now ... the 'all
devices' list will still be available, but, for instance, ppl looking to
see 'most popular ethernet controller', this should help speed things up a
bit ...

----