Ndis + Netgear WG311v3 ; Won't attach device correctly

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Aug 9 15:47:37 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 11:40, Frank Staals wrote:
> The only thing changed since the first time I loaded the module was I
> copied it to /boot/kernel and I added WG311v3XP_sys_load="YES" to
> /boot/loader.conf but those changes shouldn't have effect on not
> correctly loading it I think.

This is the key. I can't remember where I read it but this is a documented
caveat of the ndis driver. Windows doesn't typically invoke network drivers
until after the system is loaded, so some drivers won't work in FreeBSD
unless they're loaded after the system is up. So take the line out
of /boot/loader.conf, test that the driver works correctly if you reboot and
kldload it manually, then make an rc script or something to automatically
load the driver later in the boot process.

JN